Matthew 9:35-38, And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. 36 But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd. 37 Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; 38 Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.
For many years now, every chance I get, I encourage people to read something from the Gospels of Jesus Christ daily. It has been a life-changing experience for me. Others have testified of the same. If we do read some from the Gospels daily, we will find ….
- How Jesus Lived
- How Jesus Loved
- How Jesus Served
- How and What Jesus Taught
Then with the help of the Holy Spirit we can, and should, follow in Jesus’ footsteps!!!
1 Peter 2:21, For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps.
In Matthew Chapters 5-7, we find Jesus delivering the greatest sermon of all-time; the greatest principles for Christian living, and some of the most convicting, challenging and life-changing words in all of the Bible!
In Matthew Chapters 8-9, we begin to see Jesus in action:
- Jesus touches and heals a leper [Matthew 8:1-4]
- Jesus heals the Centurion’s Servant [ Matthew 8:5-13]
- Jesus heals Peter’s mother-in-law [Matthew 8:14-17]
- Jesus confronts some men with the cost of following Him [Matthew 8:18-22]
- Jesus calms the storm [Matthew 8:23-27]
- Jesus heals a demon-possessed man [Matthew 8:28-34]
- Jesus heals a crippled man [Matthew 9:1-8]
- Jesus calls Matthew to follow Him [Matthew 9:9-13]
- Jesus does some teaching on the new move of God in response to a question asked him about fasting [Matthew 9:14-17]
- Jesus raises Jairus’ daughter from the dead [Matthew 9:18-26]
- Jesus heals two blind men [Matthew 9:27-31]
- Jesus casts a demon out of a man [Matthew 9:32-34]
In other words, Jesus was busy about helping hurting people, delivering people who were in bondage, and calling others to help Him to do this work!
This is the context for the passage of scripture above [Matthew 9:35-38].
This is the work of the harvest!!!
Jesus wants us to recognize that the harvest is truly plenteous. There are not only plenty of lost souls, there’s plenty of hurting people; plenty of folks who are in bondage; plenty of hungry and needy people; plenty of helpless and hopeless people who need to not only HEAR ABOUT JESUS, but to see the life, light, and love of Christ through your life and mine as we lovingly serve them!
There’s so much more to the ministry, to the work of God, than just “delivering a sermon,” passing out a tract, or sharing the Roman’s Road.
The ministry is all about living like Jesus, loving like Jesus, serving like Jesus, and bringing Jesus to a lost, hurting, and dying world!
Acts 10:38, How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
Just reflecting on the “good works” of Jesus!