Luke 5:9-11, For he was astonished, and all that were with him, at the draught of the fishes which they had taken: 10 And so was also James, and John, the sons of Zebedee, which were partners with Simon. And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men. 11 And when they had brought their ships to land, they forsook all, and followed him.
FEAR has a crippling effect in the lives of God’s people. It always has, and on this side of eternity, it, no doubt, always will.
- FEAR has kept many of God’s people from doing what Christ has commanded and going where Christ has directed.
- FEAR has kept many a good man and women from surrendering their lives to Christ.
- FEAR has kept many a good man and woman from sharing the Gospel with friends and family members.
- FEAR has kept many a good man and woman from sacrificing their time, talents, and treasures Christ and for the cause of Christ.
- FEAR has kept many a good man and woman from leaving father, family, friends, future ambitions, financial security, and everything familiar to them to go to the uttermost parts of the world with the Gospel.
Yes, this matter of FEAR is crippling for the best of us!
It is for this reason that God, over and over again (at least 365 times in the Bible), reminds His people not to fear.
Genesis 15:1, After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.
Joshua 10:25, And Joshua said unto them, Fear not, nor be dismayed, be strong and of good courage: for thus shall the LORD do to all your enemies against whom ye fight.
Isaiah 41:10, Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
Matthew 10:28, And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Luke 12:31-32, But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you. 32 Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
2 Timothy 1:7, For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
FEAR, if not kept in check, keeps us from FOLLOWING JESUS. It keeps us from FORSAKING what needs to be forsaken. And it keeps us from FISHING for men!!!
“My greatest fear, even now, is that I will hear the words of Jesus and walk away content to settle for less than radical obedience to Him.”
We must beg God to replace our FEAR with FAITH!!!